So, you have a website; you built it, or someone else built it, it looks pretty, or it could use a bit of a birthday, it loads slow or it loads faster than a gazelle on the move from a leopard. These are all things that require monitoring and maintenance. It’s like having a car. You don’t buy one and then just drive it until it doesn’t work anymore. You get a WOF every year. You have it serviced when the little sticker on your windscreen tells you to do so and you certainly keep it filled with gas. You have to do the same for your website. Give it a clean, give it an oil change and keep it maintained so it runs like a dream.
How do you do this? First of all, you can’t fix what you don’t know is broken. If you aren’t a developer, you may not even know that some things need checking! There are ways to measure what’s happening with your website and we can run a free report for you. Send through your domain to us by clicking here. We will send you back a report along with some suggestions for maintenance.
These are some things that we review website performance:
- Page load speed – You have 2-3 seconds before people will leave because your site hasn’t loaded
- Optimized images – having images that are too large will increase your site load time
- Mobile responsiveness – How your website displays on a mobile phone is critical, this is where 60% of search is now viewed
- SEO (Search Engine Optimization) – Can someone find you on google? The answer should be YES
- Local SEO – When someone asks “Hey Siri, where is the nearest florist”? Does she give the name of your beautiful shop?
These are just a few examples, there are infinite other ways to maintain and improve your website. There are so many different types of websites. Their diversity is similar to us humans. What everyone wants out of their website is also different. You may need yours to be pulling the majority of the weight to create online sales or you may merely be using yours as a place to have a presence on the web. Different requirements call for different actions. If you need a little help or direction just reach out, we are always happy to have a quick chat and point you in the right direction.
Chris & Jenna