Google my Business is a FREE tool that allows you to manage how your business appears on Google. It’s Google’s online directory of local business, enabling search users to find you. As an easy and effective way to generate leads, there’s no reason not to take advantage of this tool regardless of your business!
Here’s how to set up Google My Business so that you can manage and optimise your visibility on Google and help your business grow.
Setting It Up
First and foremost, you need to create your account. Google will take you through the steps, but we’ll break it down for you so you know what to expect.
- Business Name: Straight forward, make sure the name you use is consistent across all online directories. For example, if we sometimes called ourselves Custom Digital Marketing Taranaki but decided to drop the Taranaki on GMB, we should be doing that on other online platforms too.
- Address & Service Area: Again, relatively simple! Just make sure it’s accurate. If you’re willing to travel, expand your service area to suit that. If you work from home, select hide my address, so people know not to expect a physical office or showroom to go to.
- Contact Info: If you’ve got a website, great! Add the URL here. If you don’t, that’s okay but maybe consider getting one setup. It will make your business look more professional and trustworthy! The same goes for your email address. If you’re still using a Gmail or Xtra account, considering upgrading to a business email. Looking professional will help attract more and higher paying customers.
- Photos: Customers need a visual. So, add photos but make sure they are of good quality. It’ll make your business look attractive and professional.
- Description: Add lots of detail here! A detailed description with good keywords will help Google know more about your listing and attract a better match for search queries.
- Category: Again, try to use accurate and specific keywords here to optimise your search-ability.
Optimise your GMB Listing
To optimise your GMB listing, make sure you’ve filled out all the above sections as accurately as you can. GMB enables anyone to be able to suggest an edit. Still, by adding lots of detailed and relevant information, you provide people with all the details they need, which will discourage any adding or editing.
Accurate and complete information will also help customers to trust your business. So regularly check-in, responding to reviews and updating details where necessary.
Engage with Consumers
Reviews are essentially social proof that influences peoples purchase decisions. The more good reviews you have, the higher your business profile will rank. Encourage customers to leave you a review, and don’t forget to respond to them!
Responding to a good review shows your appreciation of their support. It’ll make them feel valued, make the review stand out, and encourage others to leave positive reviews.
Respond to negative reviews too! Respond to these carefully to ensure you look professional and care about your customers experience with your business.
GMB provides valuable insights into the people checking out your listing, which can be helpful for understanding and refining your target audience. Insights will provide data such as how many people click on your website and where people are getting directions.
Use this information to better understand your target audience’s geographic demographic and what time people call so you know when peak calling hours are and are available to respond.
So, if you haven’t already, go set up Google My Business today! Click here to get started.
Any questions? Don’t hesitate to get in touch!
We’re your local marketing experts and are here to help with any of your digital marketing concerns; contact us today.